Flicks and Bits | Interview For Clint Eastwood’s ‘J. Edgar’ (Nov. 2011)

« Older   Newer »

1.     Like  

Group
    Staff

Status
    CITAZIONE
    Leonardo DiCaprio Interview For Clint Eastwood’s ‘J. Edgar’

During his lifetime, J. Edgar Hoover (Leonardo DiCaprio) would rise to be the most powerful man in America. As head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation for nearly 50 years, he would stop at nothing to protect his country. Through 8 presidents and 3 wars, Hoover waged battle against threats both real and perceived, often bending the rules to keep his countrymen safe. Hoover was a man who placed great value on secrets – particularly those of others – and was not afraid to use that information to exert authority over the leading figures in the nation.

Understanding that knowledge is power and fear poses opportunity, he used both to gain unprecedented influence and to build a reputation that was both formidable and untouchable. He was as guarded in his private life as he was in his public one, allowing only a small and protective inner circle into his confidence. His closest colleague, Clyde Tolson (Armie Hammer), was also his constant companion. His secretary, Helen Gandy (Naomie Watts), who was perhaps most privy to Hoover’s designs, remained loyal to the end…and beyond. As seen through the eyes of Hoover himself, ‘J. Edgar’ explores the personal and public life and relationships of a man who could distort the truth as easily as he upheld it during a life devoted to his own idea of justice, often swayed by the darker side of power. Directed by Clint Eastwood, ‘J. Edgar’ also stars Judi Dench, Josh Lucas and Ken Howard. The film is released in cinemas November 9th in the US, and January 20th in the UK.

What was the biggest challenge when taking on this role? I can’t think of many people over the last century who have been as important and controversial in American history.

Leonardo DiCaprio: The biggest challenge was something that was very clearly defined in the screenplay for me….not necessarily sympathise, but how do you emphasize with this human being, not even emphasize, but how do understand his motivations and how that manifested itself into politics? It was very intriguing to discover Dustin Lance Black’s screenplay, because for the first time I kind of understand what motivated him; at a very young age his mother wanted him to rise to great power in politics, to carry on the Hoover name to great glory. He was a young genius, he came into this bureau and really transformed the United States, really organised modern forensics, captured all the outlaws, really put a face on a federal system of police enforcement that to this day is incredibly intimidating.

After your research what were your thoughts of him?

Leonardo DiCaprio: My politics aren’t inline with his (laughs). I think he had a very right-wing puritan view on how to protect democracy in our country, by any means necessary. But I believe in his heart he believed he was a great patriot, he believed he was there to protect the US at all costs, but I think he stayed in power for way too long, which was the great tragedy of his career. 50 years and 8 presidents, he should have been gone long ago. By the time the civil rights movement was coming about the US was changing for the better. He went at and politically attacked Martin Luther King and tried to take down that movement, amongst others, label it as a communist uprising, which was absurd.

J. Edgar Hoover’s mother really helped drive his ambition and political views…

Leonardo DiCaprio: She was a very powerful force in J. Edgar Hoover’s real life. She influenced a lot of his decisions politically, influenced his ambition, fuelled his ambition. She was the rock solid moral high-ground that he constantly went to in times of despair and confusion. She really drove him politically, she was almost like a stage mum in a lot of respects.

He was obsessive in how he shaped his agents, and in making the FBI into a large and efficient crime-fighting agency.

Leonardo DiCaprio: He was obsessive, compulsive…compounded by being a germaphobe in the way he wanted his G-Men to look (laughs). These were straight-laced FBI men, they needed to have a certain amount of hair on their head, they needed to have the certain stature, clean shaven, they needed to wear suits, they need to have College education, they needed to be able to speak with a certain directness, and they needed to be able to handle themselves almost like young politicians. He developed an army of these men that still to this day remain an incredible mystery to the general public. We don’t know how they operate or what they do behind closed doors – but you know that they are omnipresent.

What was the make-up process like for you?

Leonardo DiCaprio: It was probably six hours everyday, it took away from some of the shooting time and it was very complicated to try to inhabit that older version of J Edgar Hoover. It wasn’t just the make-up and the prosthetic, to be able to walk into a room and talk to Robert F. Kennedy as if he was a young political upstart who didn’t know the first thing about the state of the world, or politics to begin with (laughs), to have that political command was the most challenging thing. But I took a lot of inspiration from Clint Eastwood, he helped me out a lot, he told me how I should move, how I should act, he was the main inspiration for a lot of us, he was great.

Speaking to Clint Eastwood and Dustin Lance Black about the film, they talked about how it was very much a collaborative effort in shaping the characters. What was that like for you?

Leonardo DiCaprio: This is an incredibly important American figure to take on, so we needed the incredible amount of research that Dustin Lance Black had done before hand. Also I think he needed my interpretation with how I was going to put that up on screen, the sort of tone that we were going to reflect this mans life – which goes through so many different eras in American history, it takes on so many different important events, how to humanise that? Clint Eastwood really partnered up with the both of us, he really asked for our input, he really wanted to make this a collaboration.

Source

2. Federica 94

User deleted

troppo lunga xD la metto in coda da leggere

3.     Like  

Group
    Staff

Status
    :lol: anche io :ahah:

4. *Clarice*

User deleted

ma ragazze se questa è lunga, quell'altra che ho tradotto cos'era? questa è cortissima, poltrone XD :D

5. Federica 94

User deleted

ahh quella è un poema, nn ho così tanto tempo per leggerla sul pc, ho sempre mia sorella alle calcagna xD

6.     Like  

Group
    Staff

Status
    :fischio: ho dato qualche spulciatina ma le domande sono sempre le stese e pure le risposte sono sempre le stesse anche se usa diverse parole :lol:

7. *Clarice*

User deleted

eh sì :lol:

8. †AlexMoon†

User deleted

in sintesi è la stessa zuppa, zolfa come si dice -___- xD

7 replies since 6/11/2011, 18:55   69 views